ENSO Biodegradable Plastics
ENSO offers a simple and effective solution to an enormous environmental challenge. The ENSO material it is easy to integrate into to existing manufacturing methods, making expensive infrastructure changes unnecessary, creating a viable solution for companies of all sizes. Just add the ENSO additive into the existing manufacturing process to easily create the worlds “greenest package”.
The ENSO additive is a small white/off-white pellet comprised of a proprietary organic blend with a polymer carrier which is mixed into standard plastic to create a product and/or packaging that can be naturally digested by nature’s microorganisms. Although the intended end of life application of the ENSO plastic is to first try to recycle, 95% of all plastics end up in a landfill. If the recycle bin is not available, ENSO plastics should be placed into the trash can destined for a landfill. Plastics utilizing ENSO are also fully recyclable and can be mixed into existing recycling streams without resulting in contamination.
Traditional plastics mixed with the ENSO additive is biodegradable in anaerobic (landfill) environments, breaking down through microbial action into biogases and inert humus; leaving behind no harmful materials. ENSO Plastics are not Oxo biodegradable or PLA (corn based) plastics.
When ENSO products are thrown away, the organic blend creates a perfect environment and food source for microbes in the landfill. As microbes consume the additive, they secrete enzymes. These enzymes break down the polymer chain into materials that are easily consumed by microbes. The end result is carbon dioxide, methane, and healthy, new soil.
The material is added at approximately 1% during the melt phase of manufacturing, as easy as using a dry colorant!
Once the ENSO material is added, there is no change to your current processing. Even better, the products you manufacture will continue to perform perfectly, including material strength, barrier properties, flexibility, heat tolerance, stability and appearance.
During manufacturing, product storage and while on the retail shelf, products made with the additive are the same as traditional plastic. The ENSO material is inert in the polymer (similar to a colorant or filler), and does not alter the chemical structure of the final product. Keeping the original polymer intact ensures that physical characteristics like shelf life, barrier properties, and tensile strength are retained.
Aerobic vs. Anaerobic Biodegradation
Unlike competing products, ENSO accelerates the natural biodegradation of plastics in biologically active landfills and anaerobic digesters as validated by independent certified laboratories using internationally recognized test methods.
A Comparison of ENSO Bottles, Oxo-degradable and PLA
ENSO has several blends designed for varying processing conditions and resin types including, but not limited to:
- PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate)
- PP (Polypropylene)
- PE (Polyethylene)
- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
- LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene)
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
Use a different or unique polymer? Contact ENSO to learn about customizing for your application.
- Products using ENSO have the additional feature if biodegradability while remaining 100% recyclable with standard plastics.
- ENSO is not PLA, Starch or oxo-degradable.
- ENSO does not fragment in the environment.
- ENSO is shelf stable and has no reduced performance.
- ENSO is cost competitive
- ENSO additive is sourced from renewable materials.
ENSO is scientifically proven through internationally recognized ASTM testing. Testing and Validation Data
- ENSO biodegrades in the anaerobic conditions found in common landfills.
- ENSO will provide technical, marketing and educational support to companies using or promoting ENSO products.
- ENSO is well established and trusted as the leader in biodegradable additive technologies.
- Products using ENSO are offered in thousands of retail locations worldwide.
- ENSO helps companies support their sustainability initiatives.
- Companies incorporating ENSO into their products can benefit from increased brand loyalty, and leverage their share in a steadily growing market for green products.
Retailers, Brand Owners and Consumers
Not a converter of raw resins? ENSO is fully supportive of everyone in the supply chain, we are all part of the solution. Whether you finish products, sell products or buy products, we want to hear from you and help you be a part of the ENSOLUTION.
Plastic Environmental Council (PEC)
ENSO Plastics is a proud member of the PEC.
For more information about PEC - Click Here